Monday, December 08, 2003

Geist is Under My Bed!

The staff party that my partner and I threw on Friday night was a hit. Between the 100% paid vacations awarded to staff that have been loyal to us for 5 or more years and Christmas bonus cheques I felt like the big ol' red. No out of hand drinking by the junior staff this year which also meant that I did not spend my Friday evening on my hands and knees cleaning up the horror film of a ladies bathroom like last year.

Saturday night my partner and I ventured back to the motherland where I grew up to socialize with my high school friends. I had a fantastic time. My partner, along with the other partners sat bored to tears listening to the same stories and jokes for the 100th time. The group of friends that I grew up with dished and reminisced the evening away...pleasantly forgetting about our spouses and kids. Such a short vacation it turned out to be.

When I was growing up I was bullied to no end in public school. In high school I was a star. My group of friends were pretty mean to some other kids and we all agreed that we feel bad about it now. Especially after being reminded that 15 years after we graduated that some of them still remember....

So my partner and I head off to the grocery store in Dundas to pick up the chips for the little get together. Nothing special there except that the aisles were like a runway show for wall mart fashion show. It was making me sick and giving me small town flashbacks. We are at the check out counter and sure enough, the check out girl is "geist", and she remembered me.

Now geist was not a pretty girl and her parents dressed her funny. She would walk the hall's of the school endlessly during every break. Never stopping to talk to anyone, to eat, to relax or study. She always had a long white dress on, flowing with the wind she created as she traversed the halls. Back and forth. Around and around the circle shaped school we went to. I would get dizzy watching her. This is why she was called "geist" - short for "Poltergeist". She was of Italian decent and had long tangled black hair. Her face was covered in acne and it looked very painful. The worst part of it all was that in class, she would sit at the front of the room and when she was bored she would pick her nose and roll the little meatballs around between her fingers, look at them and then eat them. She knew she had this disgusting habit because we would all make noises and laugh at her. "Snack time!" "Yummy - how do the dust bunnies taste today geist?" "Hey geist - pop a zit for some sauce on that meatball would ya?" She was the brunt of everyone's jokes and she actually made my day at times as I would laugh so hard my stomach hurt.

I remember when we spotter her working at the local Mc Donald's. Gave a whole new meaning to chicken mc nuggets. Need I say that we avoided her line at the cash register.

Well on Saturday she got me back. We were at the check out line and there she was. She was smiling and chatting with the other patrons as she scanned their items. When I got in front of her she looked up at me with a smile and then she frowned. She did not say a word. She picked up my chips and began to clumsily drop the bag on the ground, purposefully missing the scanner. She picked them up and grabbed them so hard, manipulating them like it was a bag pipe or something. Breaking EVERY ship in the bag. She literally threw them in the plastic bag and says to me "$2.57".

My giddy mode was ruined. She got me back, albeit in some small way, but it made me realize that we tormented this girl so bad that she has been scarred. Scarred mostly by the zits (and the poor thing still has them) but whatever -she was pissed and she took it out on my Fritos.

I just hung my head low and scurried out of the store, afraid that a fireball would be heading it's way towards my back as I walked out the door.

We all had a good laugh over this back at the party. lots of beverages and good times.

That evening I had a horrible nightmare of her holding my cat over the edge of the balcony and taunting me. She let go of my Zulu and I see her falling to her death. 15 floors. I woke up with cold beer sweats. I have a poltergeist in my room and I know she's hiding under my bed.